Coronavirus: Advice for SIPTU Health members
To prevent the spread of infection SIPTU members working in a healthcare setting should:
- regularly wash your hands
- cover your mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing
Practicing good hand and respiratory hygiene is the best way you can protect against the spread of infection.
Watch a video on how staff working in healthcare can prevent the spread of infection
Suspected or confirmed cases of coronavirus
Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) if you are a healthcare professional caring for a patient with suspected or confirmed coronavirus.
This includes a:
- surgical face mask;
- face shield or googles
- clean, non-sterile, disposable long-sleeved gown – if this is not available, wear a plastic apron and roll up sleeves
Airborne precautions are only needed if an aerosol-generating procedure is being performed on a patient with suspected or confirmed coronavirus.
Personal protective equipment
Watch a video on how to put on and take off personal protective equipment correctly in an acute hospital setting.
Watch a video on how to put on and take off personal protective equipment correctly in a non-acute health setting.
- infection prevention and control guidance for coronavirus
- advice for GPs on assessment and management of patients with suspected coronavirus infection