Get a Jump Start with SIPTU
Jump Start is a SIPTU designed and delivered return-to-learn programme aimed at support workers in the health service who intend returning to study, in particular, those considering training for the HCA grade.
We intend to pilot the programme over an 8 week period in April and May of this year. The core units are: –
1. Getting Started and Keeping Going – this is an introductory session providing an overview of the programme; the supports available; motivation and confidence building.
2. Return to the Classroom – this unit will prepare participants to engage effectively and learn in a classroom setting. There is a focus on the key skills required, listening and note-taking in particular.
3. Independent Learning – participants in this unit will get the opportunity to experience independent learning which incorporates ‘reading for a purpose’; note making when reading; memory techniques and basic research methods, use of library and other resources.
4. Writing it up – this unit will focus on essay and report writing from planning a project to writing well; referencing and plagiarism.
5. Adding it up – feeling comfortable with numbers is key to this unit; basic mathematics; statistics; graphs; tables; the importance of accuracy.
6. Talking it up – preparation of presentations and oral reports.
7. IT Skills – two key skills are emphasised here, a) use of the internet; b) word processing
8. Project – there is an end of programme assignment which all participants must submit.
Supports for participants will include individual access to a tutor; an on-line support site and a course workbook.
Classes will be delivered by experienced and qualified tutors and will run on Wednesdays from 4pm to 7pm at SIPTU College, 563 South Circular Road, Kilmainham, Dublin 8.
If you are interested in getting a JUMP START please email email@example.com or contact SIPTU College on 01 8788272
Closing date is Friday, 31st March.
Download a leaflet here